Trekking Permits

Most of the treks in Nepal require trekking permits. There are a lot of check points and park officers can check your permits at any time. Caught without the proper permit you will pay a fine of double the normal cost. Trying to bribe officers or police personnel can bring a lot of trouble. So don’t do that! Most of the time there will be two or 3 permits needed. One belongs to conservation area or national park, another to Trekkers Information Management System (TIMS) Card and the last one is for the restricted areas. We might need one or two or all of the permits mentioned above.

Treks in Annapurna, Khumbu, and Langtang/Helambu

Treks in these areas require national park entry tickets (NRP 2.000 for a single entry) and a “TIMS (Trekker Information Management System) card”. There are two types of TIMS cards: a green one for independent trekkers (NPR 2.000) and a blue one for trekkers who are part of a group with a guide (NPR 1.00). Individual TIMS (green cards) are obtainable only from Nepal Tourism Board offices in Kathmandu and Pokhara and from the Trekking Agents Association of Nepal office. Not even Trekking Agents are legally authorized to obtain individual TIMS. Trekking with me you require a blue TIMS card.

Treks in Restricted Areas

Restricted areas such as Dolpo, Upper Mustang, Manaslu, Tsum Valley, Nar-Phu, and Kanchenjunga require “trekking permits”, which are obtainable only through local trekking agencies.

As your guide I will obtain the necessary permits for our trek but please make sure that you bring the required insurance documentation and passport-sized photographs for application.